+86 18008915956 sale@budgettibettour.com
Budget Price & Quality Service, Your Smart and Wise Choice!

How to apply for Tibet Permit

If you enter Lhasa by train or flight from a Chinese city, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Xining and etc, you have to apply for a Chinese (tourist) visa firstly. You cannot do the Tibet permit application by yourself; your Tibet tour operator will do it for you. What you have to do is to send by email the clearly scan or photo copy of your valid passport and Chinese visa to your Tibet tour operator, note this must be done at least 15 days before the trip; while, if you plan to visit Mt. Kailash, this has to be done at least 25 days beforehand as the military permit really takes long time.

You have to tell your tour operator your occupation too, because journalist, politician cannot travel to Tibet via tour companies. People of those occupations have to refer to Tibet Foreign Affairs department for a tour to Tibet.

When apply for your Chinese visa in your home country or any other third country, make sure NOT mention Tibet in the visa application form, otherwise it will be very difficult even impossible to get the visa approved, because overseas Chinese Embassies do not expect you to visit Tibet because of sensitiveness there. We recommend you to just write some Chinese cities name in your Chinese visa application form, cities like Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai or Chengdu.    

On the other hand, if you enter Tibet by overland or flight from Kathmandu, Nepal; the Chinese visa and Tibet permit rules are totally different compared with entering from China side, for more detailed info, please refer to our page of Tibet permit from Nepal.

You might also interested in
Can we apply for the permit online?
Can I apply for the Tibet permit in Beijing, Shanghai or Chengdu?
Can I apply for the permit after my arrival in China?
Travelers' Questions Might Help

The questions raised by our past customers can help you get a more clear picture about tours to Tibet, read them or tell us your own questions via the form on the right side, our specialists will reply you within 24 hours.

user portrait Mr. Ch*** from: How to apply for Tibet Permit

I've got a question regarding Visa Application. We want to be in China in the period from about 29th of September 2019 to up a whole month and enter china by train (Trans-Mongolian). We wish to travel around china for up to 2 weeks and finally take the Lhasa Express to Lhasa from one of the station in china. We wish to exit china by leaving Lhasa towards Kathmandu.

Is there any way to combine the tibet permit with an whole month visum?

Thank you

Answered by Nancy

Dear Mr. Ch***,

Greetings from Nancy at Budget Tibet Tour, thanks for visiting our website and sending your inquiry. Based on your situation, I think better for you to apply China visa in Mongolian instead of your place. Where you have booked the train to China.And I will provide you the visa invitation letter so you can go the embassy there to apply your China visa. You can travel to Tibet with this valid China visa too. And I recommend you to take our 7days Lhasa to Kathmandu via Mt. Everest group tour on 16th Oct as we have several people booked this tour already, and which will be perfect for your time. And you can take train from Xining to Lhasa as it will be short time taking and also you can travel more China with the two weeks before heading to Tibet. I will send you more details about the tour to your email please check it there. Best regards.

Email to Nancy about any question or tell us your own questions via the form on the right side

Quick Question Form
Tell us your question in this quick inquiry form, we will reply you within 24 hours.
8 Days Lhasa to Kathmandu Himalayan Panoramic Tour