Tibet is located in the southeast of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau with an average elevation of over 4 kilometres. Places of over 5 kilometres cover an area of 45.6% of Tibet Autonomous Region. Due to the unique geographical environment of Tibet, travelling in Tibet is more demanding on physical conditions than in plain areas, therefore you should be fully prepared before and after setting off.
Tips before entering Tibet:
1. Strict and comprehensive physical examination for tourists to Tibet. It is not advisable for people with disease in organs such as heart, liver, lung and kidney or high blood pressure to travel into Tibet. Tourists with serious organic disease, or serious anemia or serious high blood pressure is less adaptable to plateau environment, so they should be cautions when deciding on traveling in Tibet. It is advised to inquire experienced doctors for safety concerns.
2. Smoking and drinking is prohibited before entering Tibet in order not to get upper respiratory infection. Avoid over fatigue and have adequate rest. Taking moderate American Ginseng to strengthen anoxic resistance of the body. If you get respiratory infection, it should be healed before entering Tibet, otherwise high altitude sickness would be exacerbated, even leading to pneumonedema.
Smoking and drinking are not advised
3. You’d better travel to plateau in summer and autumn if it is the first time to plateau, since high altitude sickness would be reduced greatly at this time of year, while the coldness in winter would increase oxygen deficit of the body.
4. Prepare oxygen and medicine preventing acute high altitude sickness, also medicine preventing cold, antibiotics and vitamins, just in case.
5. Considering the cold weather and the large difference in temperature between day and night, you should bring enough clothes to keep out the cold so as not to catch a cold. Cold and respiratory infection could possibly lead to acute high altitude sickness such as pneumonedema.
6. The sole radiation in plateau area is very strong, so you must bring enough sun cream. In order to protect eye, it is necessary to bring sunglasses which could filter ultraviolet with you.
Health concerns during your Tibet tour:
The large temperature difference between day and night makes it necessary to keep warm. Bring coat or sweater is a must even in summer. You could feel cold when staying in dark temples for a long time. In addition, to keep your body dry is also very important to prevent cold. Timely treatment is needed if you catch a cold.
High altitude sickness:
1. Timely treatment such as taking aminophylline or putting a pill of nifedipine under the tongue or uptaking oxygen is needed for severe high altitude sickness on the way to plateau. If symptoms such as severe chest distress, severe coughing, dyspnea, pink frothy sputum, slow in reacting, disturbance of consciousness or even coma occur, apart from treatments stated above, patients should be sent to hospitals nearby or be moved to area of lower elevation as soon as possible.
Oxygen Bags used in Tibet
2. On the arrival at plateau area, people would have varying degrees of hypoxia symptoms such as pant, chest distress and dyspnea. However, symptoms like these do not indicate your inadaptability to plateau environment. If you could protect yourself properly, symptoms stated above would be healed or disappear in 2-4 days.
3. If you travel to plateau by plane, symptoms of high altitude sickness could appear in about 12-14 hours; therefore, prevent intense activity and have a rest immediately when you just arrive at plateau areas, otherwise it would take more time to adapt to the plateau environment once symptoms appear.
4. If symptoms like chest distress and short of breath are not so severe, it is advised not to uptake oxygen so that you could adapt to the plateau environment more quickly. Slight high altitude sickness would heal itself, so do not resort to oxygen uptake very easily so as not to develop dependency.
5. Intense tourist activities and physical overload should be avoided. When you first step into plateau, you should not walk very quickly, certainly not run or do manual labour. Activity could not be increased a little bit until a week later. It should be noticed that if the symptoms get increasingly severe after entering in plateau area, especially when symptoms are evident even in resting status, you should uptake oxygen immediately and be sent to hospital. Patients with high altitude pneumonedema or high altitude encephaledema must uptake abundant oxygen and be quickly moved to places of lower elevation while having medication.
6. Good psychological quality is the panacea to overcome high altitude sickness. A large quantity of facts prove that being open-minded and optimistic would reduce the unwellness resulted from high altitude sickness.
Smiling tourist in Tibet
1. When first enter plateau area, the dry weather there could lead to nosebleed and cracked lips, therefore you should bring sun cream, moisturizer and lip protector with you.
2. Sun cream of high SPF should be used. Pay attention to the valid time of the sun cream. Higher SPF means shorter valid time, so it is advised to have sun cream every one or two hours. Sun burn could be healed by drinking water and putting sliced cucumber on the wound.
3. Sunglasses that could filter ultraviolet should be used even in winter when in the open air on the plateau.
The questions raised by our past customers can help you get a more clear picture about tours to Tibet, read them or tell us your own questions via the form on the right side, our specialists will reply you within 24 hours.
hiya. Apologies.... I got the dates wrong for my last enquiry. arrive Lhasa 8th or 9th Oct and leave sat 24th oct 2020.
Dear Miss Ch***,
Greetings from Nancy at Budget Tibet Tour, thanks for visiting our website and sending your inquiry. Please worry free as you will arrive in Tibet on 8th or 9th Oct and leave on 24th Oct there would be 17days, which would be quite enough for the group tour. And also if you confirm it early, we are no problem to set the group tour departure date on 8th or 9th Oct as you want. Since you will have enough time, you will not miss Everest neither Kailash trekking. Oct is quite good for Tibet tour as clear weather and less people. And you will have more chance to have the view of the summit of Everest. I will send you the tour details to your email, please check it there. Best regards.
Email to Nancy about any question or tell us your own questions via the form on the right side